The girls loved them....wore them all the time. Before long, I opened my eyes to the harsh reality behind this....they just want to be like Mommy. They copy everything I do....they want to wear everything I do from head to toe (let's not even go there....OH, the amount of times I've walked into my closet to see my shoes scattered all over the floor is countless!). Whether good or bad, they valiantly observe everything I do.
You see, being their mom is an incredibly huge responsibility. Sure, my job is to discipline, to guide, to advise, to love, to nurture, and to simply be there for them. But the one thing we often forget as parents is the "role model" part. At this age, these two look up to me like I am sitting on a pedestal and can do no wrong. (Boy, do they have surprises in store for them). Every mistake I make, in their eyes, isn't a mistake. It's just how Mommy does it! Their minds process this to think, "If Mommy acts that way, so can I!". Ouch. OUCH! What I am learning to realize is that the complexity of trying to correct my wrong behaviors is doubled (in my case, tripled) because not only do I aspire to do better when I mess up, but now I have to teach two little sponges that they too should do better than something they may have just seen mommy do (like lose my patience with them on a too-often-to-admit basis. OUCH!).
But, here's the good part. The good part is that while yes, they are watching me and they are modeling my behaviors...I only have one core action to think about. My sole responsibility in fixing these errors I make with them, my core "to do" action item for the benefit not only of me, but for my girls, is to point them straight up to their Savior. When I mess up (such as losing my patience with them on a too-often-to-admit basis), I just need to turn my eyes up to the One who will forgive me and cover me with His free gift of grace. I just need to turn it over to Him. Turn over my lack of patience and ask Him to bear that burden for me, and forgive me. I just need to give it to the only One who can fix it.
If I do that, then the ease of learning to turn it over to God is doubled (in my case, tripled). Because not only do I aspire to be more like Him, and turn my human failures over to Him, but with that one act, I have taught two little sponges that they too should turn their failures over to Him, just like they saw their mommy do. Failures are a part of our everyday journey called life. Failures are a part of the human nature we are born with. Failure is what we all would be if it weren't for the One who turns that failure into a purpose that will reveal His glory.
Keep watching me, girls.....you will learn quickly that I mess up, (often), just like you. I am on no human-made pedestal, contrary to what you think today. But the God of the universe who created you and knows the very number of hairs of your head....the God of the universe who knows the beginning from the end, who knows and has great plans for you and placed you both on pedestals simply because you are HIS very intricately, purposefully designed creation, will shower you with grace after every mistake you make. He does this because He loves you. It's just that simple. My only job as your current role model is to simply look up to the One who heals all things. If you learn that one thing from me, then THAT, my precious babies, is the only thing in life that matters.

No comments:
Post a Comment